It’s “What’s Cookin’ Wednesday?!” This is one of the simplest things to make, homemade yogurt! And it tastes better than the store-bought one! It’s six easy steps and saves you a trip to the grocery store if you have milk and a little leftover yogurt in the fridge! I learned this from my mother-in-law! A store-bought yogurt costs $4.49, and a gallon of milk $2.99! So if you make homemade yogurt, you get twice the amount at half the cost. Let that sink in; every dollar and penny adds up!
Homemade Yogurt Recipe
- 1/2 Gallon Whole Milk
- Tablespoon Grocery Store bought Yogurt (This is your starter bacteria to get the process going)
- Heat the milk on medium heat and stir gently, so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Let the milk come to boil.
- Once it boils and bubbles for about 30 seconds turn off the stove and let the boiled milk cool to room temperature.
- Stir the tablespoon of grocery-bought yogurt (starter bacteria) with your room-temperature boiled milk.
- Pour the milk mixture into a plastic Tupperware and place it inside your oven next to your oven light! Turn on the oven light! (This is the most important step! ONLY TURN ON THE OVEN LIGHT)! *The light will help to warm the starter bacteria in the store-bought yogurt and will ultimately lead to the creation of Yogurt!
- Let the Tupperware sit in the oven for 7-9 hours
- Place Tupperware in the fridge and let it cool! And Voila, you have yourself DELICIOUS homemade yogurt!
You can enjoy this homemade yogurt as a parfait – add some granola and berries with honey! Save this recipe in your books because I have a fantastic recipe coming with yogurt next week! If you’re interested in other recipes I’ve shared check out the food page of my blog here!
Let me know how this turns out and if you have any questions in the comments below!
Leave a Reply